(Offered after approval from HEC)
Ziauddin University College of Medical Technology introduces its M.Phil./MS in Medical Technology to provide specialized education and transferable skills in different disciplines of Medical Technology to enhance the career prospects in hospitals, clinical laboratories and in research studies. This Programme develops student’s interpersonal skills, the ability to think critically and to make objective judgments in addition to student’s scientific knowledge.
Following are the Postgraduates courses of Medical Technology
- Blood Banking
- Chemical Pathology and Diagnostic Endocrinology
- Clinical Microbiology
- Laboratory Management
1. BLOOD BANKING
Technical progression in the field of Medical Technology elevates the exigency of technologists and thus requires expertise in the relevant disciplines. Blood bank technologists require advanced skills to demonstrate superior level technical competency at regular and specialized testing, transfusion services, transfusion therapy and blood collection concerning the safety of the received blood. These technologists are responsible for demonstrating strong problem solving skills to produce accurate diagnosis. In addition to this, they are expected to exhibit managerial, administrative, quality assurance, and computer skills. Such skills are developed through extensive interdisciplinary education and therefore College of Medical Technology has designed its postgraduate Programmes aiming to develop the competence in all technical areas of blood banking and transfusion.
2. CHEMICAL PATHOLOGY AND DIAGNOSTIC ENDOCRINOLOGY
Chemical Pathology and Diagnostic Endocrinology conjunct as a whole that specialize technologists to investigate, analyzes, and manage the biomedical and metabolic disorders accompanied by techniques, management and administration of a laboratory. Medical technologists in this discipline provide advice to the healthcare professionals on appropriate test selection for patients with a variety of metabolic disturbances and provide clinical interpretations of biomedical, endocrine and metabolic test results.
3. CLINICAL MICROBIOLOGY
The Postgraduate study at the College of Medical Technology in clinical microbiology focuses on the examination of the infectious agent of the disease, which evade patient’s immune system. This is operated on complex instruments and automated equipment’s by technologists. Furthermore, technologist in Clinical Microbiology reports the findings to the physician. Technologists of this discipline can work with public and private healthcare teams, in pharmaceutical companies, hospital laboratories, and pharmaceutical and diagnostic instrument companies.
Hematology technologist is mainly concern with the study of blood at cellular level. They are specialized at detecting and determine the cause of blood diseases while utilizing modernistic instruments. Hematology technologists can contribute their expertise in researches as well as in academic settings. They can also work in blood banks, medical laboratories, in private clinics and hold managerial responsibilities in laboratories.
5. LABORATORY MANAGEMENT
College of Medical Technology instigates postgraduate education in Laboratory Management recognizing the fact that leadership and management skills are the key for the progress in any discipline. This Programme is designed for the medical laboratory technologists working already in laboratories aiming to seek professional development in management and planning. The curriculum follows provides a practical approach to managing day-to-day clinical laboratory with the teachings on principles and procedures of management and its attributes, leadership skills, and communication skills.
(For Academic Year 2020-21) M.Phil / MS – MT Program
|Application Form, Prospectus and Processing Fee||PKR 5,000/-|
|Admission Fee||PKR 20,000/- (Non Refundable)|
|Tuition fee (current structure)|
PKR 1,20,000/ Annum
PKR 60,000/ Semester
|Bridge Course Fee||PKR 10,000/ Course|
|Examination Fee||PKR 7,000/ Semester|
Note: There will be a 15% increment per Annum. Moreover any additional taxes imposed by the government will be the students/parents/guardian. The university reserves the right to increase the fee if required according to the recommendation of the governing body.
Examination Fee will be charged separately.
Advance fee to be paid semester wise. All dues need to be cleared within two weeks of commencement of academics years. 2% surcharge per month will be leveled on outstanding fee after the due dates.
Eligibility requirements for admission: (M.Phil. / MS)
Candidates applying for admission to the M.Phil / MS-Medical technology Clinical laboratory sciences shall be a graduate (16 years of education) with minimum Higher Education Commission (HEC) requirements i.e. CGPA of 2.5 or higher in BS/MSc semester system, 60% marks in annual system. However equivalence committee will be authorized to equate CGPA and credit hours which will vary from case to case.
- BS Medical Technology.
- BS/M.Sc biological sciences with two years of relevant clinical laboratory working experience (experience certificate is required)
- For laboratory management. BS/M.Sc i.e. 16 years of education
- Entry Test and Interview will be conducted by Ziauddin University.
- For enrollment in M.Phil. / MS it is mandatory for all the candidates to clear NTS, GAT (General) with 50% marks within the first academic provisional enrollment.
- Admission in M.Phil / MS will be granted provisionally and will be confirmed only after passing the above stated test and score within one academic year of admission.
Assessment policies and procedure
Enrolled candidates are assessed and examined for theory and skills with periodic examinations. Continuous assessment is practiced incorporating multiple summative and formative assessments to measure the extent to which students have achieved the desire outcome. It includes mid-terms, projects, portfolios, clinical practicum and competencies.
Eligibility for Final Semester Examinations
Attendance requirement for appearance in semester examination is 75%.
MINIMUM PASS LEVEL FOR All SUBJECTS: 61% (Theory & Practical)*
*Mid semester and Semester examinations.
Mid semester examination result will carry 30%weightage in the final semester examination results for theoretical courses only.
All examinations will be conducted by Department of Examinations, Ziauddin University.
Academic pattern and duration
- Semester System (16 Weeks followed by 2 weeks of examination)
- All M.Phil / MS are offered as weekdays regular and flexible morning, evening, weekend Regular and flexible Programme as per departmental accommodating capabilities.
NOTE: It will be offered as per institutional policy and availability of seats.
- Those students who have completed their required education from any university other than Ziauddin University’s Medical Technology Clinical Laboratory Sciences Programme will have to complete the prescribed Bridge courses.
- Bridge courses will be of relevant M. Phil / MS subject.
- Duration of Bridge Course will be 4 weeks of study period followed by examination.
- Bridge Courses will have to be completed and passed before getting admission to Second/Next offered semester of MS/M.Phil.
Minimum duration to complete M.Phil / MS is 18 Months and 30 credit hours for all offered Programmes (coursework based).
Maximum Duration to complete MS is seven years from date of enrolment (Course work and Project based)
Credit Transfer Policy
- ZU may enroll students on application and determination of content equivalence for any semester or for any single class and issue the student a transcript conditional with as per ZU Policy.
- No credit hours of a course will be transferred if the grade is less than B for graduate.
- Credit hours may only be transferred between Chartered HEls.
Enrolment in M.Phil / MS is valid for seven years in totality.
|Grade||Grade Points||Percentage obtained in a Semester System|
|A+||4.00||85 and above|